Candied pecans are not only a delicious and easy snack to prepare for the holidays, but also a wonderful gift to give to friends and family to enjoy. With just a few ingredients, and the addition of a little bourbon or whiskey, the best treat is ready in no time at all. Our pecan tree was incredibly generous this year and what a great occasion it gives us to sit around the table to shell them as we enjoy spending time together. How satisfying to use these gifts of nature to create so many different recipes. For now, we will simply make some delectable Candied Pecans. Let's get started!
- 600 grams pecans
- 1 egg white
- 65 grams maple syrup - we had some bourbon maple syrup
- 15 grams whiskey or bourbon
- 4.20 grams vanilla extract (1 tsp)
- 2 grams salt (1/2 tsp)
- 70 grams dark brown sugar (1/2 cup)
- 70 grams granulated sugar
- Preheat The Marinara Wood-Fired Pizza Oven to 300°F - 148°C. After pre-heating the oven, the temperature may be higher than what is desired to bake the pecans. Opening the damper on the chimney will allow excess heat to escape before placing the pecans inside the cooking chamber.
- If using pecans picked under a tree, first one must shell the them. Make sure to remove the thin, hard center piece, as shown in the video.
- Next separate the egg yolk from the egg white, and whisk the egg white until frothy. Stop before reaching stiff peaks.
- Stir in the maple syrup, whiskey or bourbon, as well as the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the salt, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix well.
- Add the pecans to the egg white mixture, making sure all are nicely coated with the egg white.
- Incorporate the sugar and salt mixture with the now sticky pecans.
- Transfer the pecans on a pan lined with parchment paper and spread everything out evenly.
- Before placing the pecans inside the oven make sure to check the internal temperature of the oven with an infrared thermometer. The oven temperature should be around 300°F - 148°C. It is ok for the hot coals to be present inside the oven as long as the temperature does not exceed the optimum heat. If at any point the temperature climbs above 300°F - 148°C, simply remove the hot coals with the help of the ash shovel.
- Place the pan in the oven and close the door. Every 10-15 minutes remove the pan from the oven in order to stir the pecans.
- After 35-40 minutes the pecans can be removed from the oven. Allow them to cool a bit before eating, as the sugar coating is hot. The candied pecans can either be served warm or cold. Store in an airtight container in the pantry if not eating immediately. Candied pecans are not only delicious to snack on, but wrapped as a perfect gift to share during the holidays. Enjoy!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more videos!
Follow us on Instagram and tag us with your culinary magic! We would love to see how you make this recipe!