A Simple Pizza Dough Recipe
A Simple Pizza Dough Recipe
There are many ways and methods to prepare Pizza dough. Various factors will determine the outcome of the texture and flavor of the desired dough ball. Once shaped and proofed each dough ball will either be hand stretched, or rolled out for a great pizza. Following, is a very basic method to make 'straight dough' (one created with a single stage). By simply combining and working flour, water, yeast and salt, this dough is made without pre-ferments. Let's get started!
- Dough Cutter
- Dough trays
- Large capacity bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Danish dough whisk
- 1 kg All Purpose Flour or Caputo "00" flour (100%)
- 630 grams water (63% hydration)
- 7 grams Instant Dry Yeast (1 teaspoon)
- 18 grams salt (about 1 Tablespoon)
- Place the flour into a large capacity bowl.
- Disperse and mix salt into the flour.
- With your hands, form a well in the flour. In the center of the well pour the room temperature water and the yeast allowing it to rehydrate.
- Using a Danish dough whisk, or a plastic dough scraper begin to mix all ingredients until the flour is well incorporated.
- Place the dough onto a clean work surface and with the help of your hands knead and work the dough. At first it will not have a smooth appearance. Don't worry! Just transfer the dough into the bowl, cover it up with a damp cloth and allow it to rest for about 10 minutes at room temperature. During this time the dough will be able to rest and relax.
- After 10-15 minutes place the dough back on your work surface. The consistency of the dough will exponentially have become smoother.
- Once again transfer the dough back into the bowl, making sure to cover it with the damp cloth so as to keep it from drying out. Allow it to rest and relax for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Work the dough one more time and transfer it into the bowl that has been very lightly oiled. Doing this will allow the dough to easily come out of the bowl when it is time to shape the dough balls.
- Allow the dough to rest in a draft free area until doubled in size. Depending on the temperature of the room, this should take no longer then 1 to 1.5 hours.
- Once doubled in size, place the dough onto a clean work surface. With a bench scraper divide it into 8 portions each weighing about 200 grams.
- Shape each portion of dough into a uniform pizza dough ball as shown in the video and place into the dough tray. Cover the dough trays with either a damp cloth, plastic wrap or best yet with the lid.
- Allow the dough balls to rise for about an hour or until doubled in size if making pizza the same day. *For even better results, much better flavor development and dough structure, place the dough balls in the refrigerator overnight. If you choose to refrigerate the dough, you must first allow it to return to ambient temperature before stretching for pizza. Depending on the temperature of your kitchen, this should take at least one hour.
*The final and total weight of the dough will be 1.655 kilograms. Divide the dough into 8 portions each weighing 200 grams.
*Stackable dough boxes are ideal not only for keeping the dough moist, but also perfect when making larger amounts of dough balls. The dough trays are easily placed and stacked in the refrigerator.
*We will soon also post recipes for PIZZA DOUGH made with varied hydration levels, and pre-ferments.
- Pizza dough with Poolish - French method
- Pizza dough with Levain - sour dough
- Pizza dough with Biga or Pasta di Riporto - Italian method
- Pizza dough with Beer and EVOO
- Whole wheat Pizza dough
- Pizza Napoletana
- Gluten free pizza dough
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more videos!
Follow us on Instagram and tag us with your culinary magic! We would love to see how you make this recipe!
40+ Years of Innovation | 100% Made in Italy
Built to Last | Superior Design & Construction
Fontana Forni USA
1305 East Palmetto Street
Florence, South Carolina 29506