Roasted Fennel and Oranges - Finocchio Arrosto con arance
Want a quick and delicious side dish? Wedges of fennel topped with thinly sliced oranges becomes a dish filled with a beautiful symphony of flavors when roasted to perfection in the wood-fired oven. Although absolutely delicious when eaten raw, fennel can be brought to a whole new level when roasted. Rediscover this wonderful white bulb that has an undertone of a slight hint of liquorish and give it a fair shot in your kitchen. Let's get started!
- 2 fennel bulbs sliced into wedges - reserve fronze
- 2 oranges - one cut into 1/4" slices, and one juiced
- 20-25 butter
- Olive oil
- 10 grams capers
- 15-20 grams bread crumbs
- Salt to taste
- 15 grams pine nuts
- Preheat the Mangiafuoco Home Gas Pizza Oven to 425°-450°F - 232°-218°C.
- Slice the fennel into wedges.
- Place the butter and a drizzle of olive oil into a preheated skillet.
- Fan the slices of fennel on the melted butter and the olive oil inside the pan.
- Place the skillet in the oven and allow the fennel to caramelize on one side. This will take about 6-8 minutes.
- Juice half an orange, and slice the other into thin slices of about 1/4" thickness.
- Remove the pan from the oven and flip the fennel, as shown in the video.
- Pour the orange juice into the skillet.
- Salt the fennel and sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top.
- Add the capers (optional) and pine nuts.
- Place the orange slices over the fennel, and put the skillet back into the oven for an additional 7-10 minutes. For a nice caramelization, the orange slices can separately be placed into a preheated pan drizzled with olive oil to caramelize just one side. When just perfectly caramelized flip the slices and place them back over the fennel to finish roasting.
- Remove from the oven when the dish has turned a nice golden brown. Serve immediately! Enjoy!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more videos!
Follow us on Instagram and tag us with your culinary magic! We would love to see how you make this recipe!