Brioche with Brie, Honey and Thyme
Brie Cheese nestled inside a soft blanket of brioche dough, becomes a decadent treat sure to surprise any guest. Baked in the wood-fired oven this beautiful dish is completed with sprigs of fresh thyme as well as a generous drizzle of local honey. What a perfect treat as everyone sits around the table enjoying pure goodness of baked brioche accompanied by perfectly warm cheese dripping from each morsel. Definitely one of those dishes worth making over and over again. Let's get started!
- Gusto Wood Oven
- 9"pie plate or baking dish
- Rolling pin
- Parchment paper
- 600 grams Brioche Dough Recipe (store bought or homemade)
- 555 grams Brie cheese round
- 5 thyme sprigs and a few more for garnish
- Butter to grease the pan
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- Honey to drizzle
- Preheat the Gusto Wood Oven to 375-400°F - 190°-204°C
- Grease the pie plate with butter or place a round sheet of parchment paper at the base of the baking dish.
- With the help of a rolling pin gently stretch the brioche dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Transfer the dough into the prepared baking dish. With the help of your finger tips, gently press the dough out from the center to the edge of the circumference, thus creating a puffier edge surrounding the Brie cheese.
- Now place the entire Brie wheel on top of the dough and gently press down. There should be 3/4" of dough still showing and wrapping the cheese.
- With a knife or a sharp blade cut slices into the top of the brie cheese, first in one direction and then diagonally in the other direction.
- Take each sprig of thyme, hold the end and pull the leaves away from the branch. Scatter the small leaves on top of the brie.
- Cover the entire dish loosely with plastic and allow the dough to rise. Covering the dish is very important as to avoid drying the surface of the dough. Allow it to rise for about 40-45 minutes or until the dough ring around the cheese has almost doubled in size.
- Prepare the egg wash by whisking the yolk with the cream and a pinch of salt. Gently brush the egg wash over the brioche only.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until the brioche has turned a deep golden brown. Rotate the pan half way through the baking time to ensure even baking.
- Carefully remove from the oven, drizzle with honey and serve immediately. Enjoy!
**If baking this dish in a single chambered wood-fired oven, remove the hot coals when the oven reaches 425°F - 218°C and place the dish in the oven when the oven is at 400°F - 204°C, close the door and the damper on the chimney and bake for 35-40 minutes. Rotate the pan half way through the baking time to ensure even baking.Buon Appetito!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more videos!
Follow us on Instagram and tag us with your culinary magic! We would love to see how you make this recipe!