Roasted Long Italian Sweet Peppers
Sweet, long Italian peppers are a delicious gift the summer offers each year. There are so many ways to prepare them, and making these peppers is always a great accompaniment to any meal. Picked when perfectly red or even when still green, they are ready to serve in no time at all when roasted in a hot oven. Today we chose to roast them with plump cherry tomatoes, garlic, and small anchovy fillets tucked inside each one. If anchovies are not desired they can be easily omitted. Let's get started!
- 11-12 long Italian sweet peppers
- 11-12 anchovies totally optional
- 3 cayenne peppers
- 1 head of garlic
- 500 grams cherry tomatoes
- Sprinkle of dried oregano
- Salt to taste - Salt more if not inserting the anchovies
- Parsley for garnish
- Olive oil
- Preheat the Mangiafuoco Home Gas Pizza Oven to 450°-475°F - 232°-236°C.
- Carefully cut out the stem from each pepper and remove the seeds.
- Spread the seeds on a paper towel to dry for next year's pepper crop.
- If using anchovies, place one inside each pepper. Feel free to omit the anchovies as not everyone enjoys them. Some salt to taste will be necessary if not using anchovies.
- Drizzle olive oil into the bottom of the baking sheet and arrange the sweet peppers, the garlic, and the sliced cayenne peppers into the pan.
- Sprinkle a little dried oregano over the peppers, cover with a lid, and place the pan into the hot oven. Roast for a few minutes until the peppers are nicely sizzling.
- With the help of tongs carefully turn the peppers.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and place the pan back into the oven.
- Be mindful to rotate the peppers with tongs every 3-4 minutes so they can roast on all sides.
- After about 20-25 minutes, when all peppers and cherry tomatoes have nicely caramelized, remove them from the oven.
- Add salt to taste, remembering that the anchovies are already salty.
- Sprinkle everything with chopped fresh parsley and enjoy with a crunchy slice of bread. Enjoy!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more videos!
Follow us on Instagram and tag us with your culinary magic! We would love to see how you make this recipe!