Porrata - Leek Tart
Today the star of our meal will be PORRATA, which is a flavorful, ancient and rustic Tuscan dish where leeks and bacon are married into a symphony of delicious, nostalgic flavors that remind you of home. Mentions of Porrata are found in ancient culinary manuscripts as far back as the 1300s. Stretched dough lines the pan which is then layered with bacon (pancetta), as well as leeks coated in whisked eggs. Our Porrata is then baked to perfection in the wood-fired oven. Definitely a very simple, yet delicious and pure comfort food which is brought to a whole new level when served with a fresh tossed salad. Let's get started!
- 300 grams All Purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 100 grams water
- 50 grams oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon teaspoon salt
- 1 kg leeks (about 4 leeks)
- 200 grams bacon or pancetta
- 2-3 eggs
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat The Marinara Pizza Oven to 375°F - 190°C.
- Create a well in the flour, and pour the water into the center of the well. Add the yeast, oil and egg and begin combining all ingredients.
- Sprinkle the salt over the shaggy dough and knead until a small smooth ball is formed. Transfer the dough into a bowl, cover, and allow to rise for 1.5 hours.
- Remove the outer, dark green leaves from the leeks, but do not discard as they can be used for stock or in a soup. Make sure to thoroughly wash between each of the leaves as soil can be trapped there. Once washed, slice the leeks into half inch slices. Set aside.
- In the meantime, cut the bacon into strips and place in a large pan in the preheated oven until the fat is released.
- Remove the bacon from the pan but leave some of the fat for the leeks.
- Place the clean leeks into the pan and toss them in the remaining bacon fat. Cover with a lid and place in the oven for a few minutes, or until the leeks wilt. Remove from the oven and allow to fully cool.
- Lightly dust the work-surface with flour and roll out the dough to fit the pan of your choosing. We used what we had on hand, but a pan with a lower border would work even better.
- Whisk 2-3 eggs in a bowl and add the cooled leeks to the mixture. Adjust with salt and pepper.
- Spread the bacon over the bottom of the pan and cover everything with the leeks and eggs.
- With the help of the infrared thermometer check the internal temperature of the oven and the temperature of the stone where the Porrata will be placed. Make sure that there is not an active fire present, as this excessive heat from the top could burn the Porrata. Adjust the damper on the chimney to retain most of the heat inside the oven while baking.
- Transfer the pan in the preheated oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the crust and the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and enjoy the Porrata accompanied by a large mixed, tossed salad.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more videos!