Plum Galette with Puff Pastry
Recipe:Plum Galette baked in Puff Pastry makes a gorgeous dessert sure to impress any guest. Thinly sliced plums elegantly fanned out and placed over a delicious cream cheese spread, are then wrapped in puff pastry, creating a mouthwatering and beautiful dessert easily prepared in no time at all.
- The Marinara Wood-Fired Pizza Oven
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
- 4 plums
- 2 sheets puff pasty (we used Pepperidge Farm)
- About 25 grams raw coarse sugar for the edge of puff pastry
- Granulated sugar to sprinkle the plum to taste
Cream cheese filling:
- 60 grams powdered sugar
- 260 grams cream cheese (one pack) - room temperature
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 small sprigs of lemon thyme
- 15 grams vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the The Marinara Wood-Fired Pizza Oven to 450°F - 232°C. Close the damper to retain the heat of the oven. The temperature for baking the plum galette needs to be at 400°F - 200°C. Since the coals will need to be removed from the oven before baking the galettes, and the oven door will be open to get the job done, it is important to have the initial temperature higher than what is needed. As the oven is cleaned out, the temperature will drop to exactly 400°F - 204°C which will be perfect for the pastries.
- Cut the plums in half, and with the help of a sharp knife thinly slice each half and fan it out, as shown in the video.
- Mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon zest, vanilla, and lemon thyme in a bowl until well combined.
- Place the pastry dough on a lightly flour dusted work surface. Gently roll each puff pastry dough square out just a little bit, until a nice, larger square is formed.
- Cut each pastry sheet into 4 pieces. Repeat this with the second sheet of puff pastry thus forming 8 equal squares total.
- Place each pastry square on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture in the center of each square being careful not to bring it all the way to the edges of the dough.
- Place an entire half of the sliced plum over the cream cheese and gently fan it out.
- With a pastry brush, spread a little bit of heavy cream, or water along the edges of the dough. Pinch the edges of the dough together, encasing the plum, as shown in the video.
- Generously sprinkle granulated sugar over the plum, as it becomes very tart as it bakes.
- In a separate bowl mix the egg yolk, cream and a pinch of salt. Spread the egg-wash gently over the folded edges of the pastry, being careful not to drip any excess on the pan.
- Sprinkle the egg-washed edges of the puff pastry with raw coarse sugar. Make sure to clean the pan of excess egg-wash as it will burn to the pan.
- Set the galettes in the freezer for about 10 minutes to allow the butter in the puff pastry to set before baking.
- As the galette cools in the freezer, remove the coals from the oven working swiftly as the temperature must be retained in the oven. Once cleaned, close the damper on the chimney to allow the oven to retain all the heat while baking.
- Transfer the pan with the galette in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until the puffed pastry is golden brown.
- Carefully remove the galette from the oven, dust lightly with powdered sugar and garnish with a sprig of thyme or edible flour of your choosing. Serve the plum galettes with a hot cup of coffee. Enjoy!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more videos!
Follow us on Instagram and tag us with your culinary magic! We would love to see how you make this recipe!