This Galette, is an incredibly easy Danish/Dessert using fresh fruit. We made this for the 4th of July as a special, but it is delicious any time of year.
PREP: 15 mins
COOK: 15 – 20 mins
TOTAL: 30 – 50 mins
- The Maestro 60
- Barebones Living Cast Iron Skillet
- Parchment paper
- Fresh Blueberries
- Fresh Strawberries
- 1 sheet puff pastry (we used Pepperidge Farm)
- Raw coarse sugar for the edge of puff pastry
- Granulated sugar to sprinkle the fruit to taste
Cream cheese filling:
- 30 grams powdered sugar
- 130 grams cream cheese (1/2 pack) - room temperature
- 8 grams vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 450°F - 232°C. The temperature for baking the galette needs to be at 400°F - 200°C. Since we are wanting to bake at a lower temp but will be turning off the flame to residual temp bake, it is important to have the initial temperature higher than what is needed.
- Prep the blueberries and strawberries by washing and slicing (strawberries).
- Mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a bowl until well combined.
- Place the pastry dough on a lightly flour dusted work surface. Gently roll each puff pastry dough square out just a little bit, until a nice, larger square is formed.
- Cut pastry sheet into 4 pieces. *** If doubling recipe you can use both sheets of pastry and repeat this with the second sheet of puff pastry thus forming 8 equal squares total, just make sure to double all measurements above for ingredients.***
- Place each pastry square on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture in the center of each square being careful not to bring it all the way to the edges of the dough.
- Place a bed of berries over the cream cheese.
- With a pastry brush, spread a little bit of heavy cream, or water along the edges of the dough. Pinch the edges of the dough together, encasing the plum, as shown in the video.
- Generously sprinkle granulated sugar over the fruit and crust with sugar.
- Set the galettes in the freezer for about 10 minutes to allow the butter in the puff pastry to set before baking.
- As the galette cools in the freezer, turn off the gas (or remove the coals from the oven if using a wood-fired oven) working swiftly as the temperature must be retained in the oven. Once cleaned, close the door on the chimney to allow the oven to retain all the heat while baking.
- Transfer the pan with the galette in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until the puffed pastry is golden brown. ***you may want to turn the flame back on on minimum at the end to help brown the pastry.***
- Carefully remove the galette from the oven. Serve these galettes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, side of whipped cream, or with a hot cup of coffee. Enjoy!